Scarver D.I.Y. Pannier Project: Summary

Here is the Summary of my project to this point.

I decided to make a D.I.Y. rack - hey it's ugly, but it works. (did I mention I have no welding skill?)

Here is my original idea of a rack.



That idea didn't last very long.

So I went to homedepot and bought a 1 inch square aluminum tube. Hey look, it fits perfectly into the passenger peg bracket.


From there, I tried many different ways of attaching panniers, but the best solution I came up with is to use Wal-mart cutting board and support it with 6mm threaded rod that fits into the rear triangle/fender. I bought a 1 meter 6mm threaded rod and cut them into four, then adjusted the length as I needed.





Then I found a threaded rod in my garage that would be perfect for the rear bracket.




Painted them black - just to make them look a bit less "hillbilly".




I thought about installing Pelican cases, but I'd rather spend that money in GAS to ride. So, for now, Husky Technician Box from Homedepot will do.
One of my concern was to place the case just right so that I can still fuel the bike. And I think I did it just right.





It's not perfect, but this will do the job.




I've attached Hyper-Lites, and looks like below at night. I REALLY need side marker lights.


That is it so far.  Come back here for more updates.

Comments

Jason - said…
They look GREAT!