Georgia '14 - Day 1

A motorcycle trip to north western Georgia.

7/13 - Day 1



Two of us met at the Seabrook Market on HWY 146 at 6 am.  The sky was still dark and we were ready to rip some asphalt.  Trying to eat as much miles as possible, we decided to take I-10 from HWY146 to Iowa, LA.  Riding Interstate highway is my LEAST favorite way of riding motorcycle.  Even though it was early in the morning, cars and trailers are moving dangerously.  The purpose of Interstate is to get to the destination as fast as possible.  And drivers will posh their limit to accomplish that.

From Iowa, we took HWY165 to Alexandria.  Although this is a four lane highway, we were in much better environment.  Most of the cars on the road was local traffic.  Also, I love seeing the towns where people live.  I love to observe how people are living locally.


From Alexandria, we took HWY28 - a nice two lane highway.  The speed limit reduced down to 55MPH and our pace has decreased.  At the end of HWY28, I saw a rider pulled to the side, with helmet on the ground talking on the phone.  I always thought the helmet on the ground was a kind of distress signal among motorcyclists.  I asked if he was OK and he gave me the thumb up.

As we approached Natchez, MS, I know we were about to cross the mighty Mississippi river.

I've crossed Mississippi many times, but it was first time for me to cross on this route.  The size of the river amazes me every time I cross it.


We stopped at the Subway sandwich shop for a quick lunch.  Then moved onto the Natchez Trace Parkway. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natchez_Trace_Parkway


This road is a nice lazy twisty road.  Traffic is light and we can really relax and enjoy the ride.  Along the way, there are many historical sites you can stop.  One of the stop we made was the Emerald Mound - a religious site for the native American Indians.


When we came across I-20, we've decided to go as far as we can until dark.  We, first, rode to Meridian, MS.  We drove to KOA, but did not like the environment in which it was located.  We pressed onto further east and found Jennings Ferry Camp Ground on Warrior Lake.

Jennings was a clean camp ground and there were a lot of sites available.  The host recommended site #51, right next to the restroom/shower.  John pitched his tent and I hang my hammock and went to sleep pretty quickly.

At the end, my GPS indicated that we rode 603 miles.  



Comments