Day 1 ~ Friday 16th: Houston - Post, TX

520 miles

Getting out of Texas is the biggest task of the trip. Even riding 9 hours the first day, I was still in Texas.

From Southeast Houston, where I live, I took Beltway 8 tollway to Hwy 290. Then I turned north on Hwy 6. Since I commute every day in Houston with my motorcycle, dealing with the traffic was not an issue - just ride like I'm invisible.



My first gas stop was in Hearne, TX, about 150 miles into the trip. I pulled up behind a nice 40th anniversary Goldwing. Talk to the guy about the bike and some ride stories - typical motorcyclists chat. After he left, a homeless guy approached me as he was collecting aluminum cans. He was about 60 years old. We chatted a while. I needed to eat a breakfast bar before I needed to go on. So I had it in my hand while talking to him. As I peeled the wrap, I asked him if he wanted to half it with me - and to my surprise, he said "yes". We chatted a bit more and he moved on to collect more cans.

After this, I took highway 7 then highway 36 to Abilene, TX. By this time, it is nearly 100F in Texas heat. As I came into Abilene, I googled a Starbucks. I needed ice coffee! (I wasn't sure if Abilene was big enough for a Starbucks.)



It bothers my riding friends that I rarely eat when I'm on a motorcycle. I just don't get hungry. Therefore I just don't stop to eat. But friends get hungry and they want to stop. I want to keep riding! This day, too, I never got hungry after the breakfast bar in the morning.

After my coffee stop, I rode north to Aspermont, TX, and west toward Post, TX. This is familiar territory to me. My wife's parents are from Post and we visited Post many many many times in our married life. I enjoy visiting this area. I like the BIG SKY! I grew up in Japan and I always envied this scene where you can actually see a horizon.


I stopped in Clairmont, TX, looked around and took a few pictures. On some maps, it declares this town as a ghost town, but it looked like still, a few folks are living out there.

The final destination for the day was the Deluxe Inn in Post, TX. After arriving around 5 pm, took shower, then went out to a benefit dinner. $10.00 for thick juicy pork chop dinner, side dishes, drinks, and dessert. If I had this dinner at a restaurant, easily $20.00 plus tip. What's even better is that I will be helping someone's needs. Every town I visit, I like going to those local events. Food is typically really good and the $$ is going to a good cause. I look on the web for stuff like some church's fish fry dinner to raise money for some kind of ministry, etc.


After the dinner, I spent a few hours with my family folks - catching up with what's going on in their life, etc. A cousin bought him a used RoadKing Classic. Nice ride!



Then back to the Deluxe Inn. It is a basic, very basic motel. A bed in a small room with shower and toilet, and most importantly a cold AC. Yes, AC is a huge blessing in Texas.

I quickly drifted into my sleep - a dreamless sleep - the kind I really like.... 5 am comes quickly.


Comments