Water Pump Leak Fixed

45,339 miles

V-Strom's water pump started to leak right before I left for Colorado. This made it easy for me to make a decision about which bike to take.

I had to take the clutch side engine case off and water pump cover off to do this. Before that, I had to drain both engine oil and anti-freeze coolant.



I changed the

  • impeller shaft
  • all seals
  • E ring clip
  • bearings (there are two)
  • engine case gasket
That's pretty much everything. 


I only ordered one bearing online. I ended up driving to a local Suzuki dealer to get the second bearing.



I think 650 and 1000 water pumps are constructed differently. Most of the info I found was for 650. But when I opened her up, it wasn't too difficult to figure things out. I didn't need any special tools to pull the seals or the bearing.

I used the long socket to pull out the seal first. Then used a similar socket to drive the bearings out by pounding on them from the backside. Then just put everything back together.

The procedure was simple, but it sure took time in my HOT garage. =(

Comments