Review Joe Rocket Alter Ego Textile Pants

A few weeks ago, I went to Barlington Coat Factory and looked at some ski over pants. They had nice ones, but there were something wrong with all of the pants which were my size, broken zipper, broken fastener, etc. They were priced at $39.00. But I did not buy them.

Later, I was surfing a motorcycle discussion forum and found a guy in Florida wanting to sell his Joe Rocket Alter Ego Textile pants at a decent price. I sent him email. After a few discussions, like his jean size which is exactly same as mine, I bought it.

Here is how the pants are described on JoeRocket.com

* Rock Tex™ 660 shell with Rock Tex™ 1050 reinforcements
* Dual density armor in knees
* High density padding on hips
* Free-air™ mesh panel with zip on cover.
* Removable waterproof liner included.
* Two-way leg zippers
* Pre-curved legs
* Sure Fit™ adjustable waistband
* 8" zipper for jacket attachment
* Reflective stripe

ok so let’s talk about these selling points.
1. the 660 shell thing. I already own a Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket. Pants are made with same material. The material is a thick cloth, though but flexible.
2. Dual density armor in knees – Nice soft padding and very comfortable.
3. High density padding on hips – I don’t know how well this will stand in a crash, but not uncomfortable. I don’t plan to find out how well it works.
4. Free-air™ mesh panel with zip on cover – Now this is really cool. (no pun intended) part of the upper pants’ skin is removable. The weather has not been that warm to test it yet, but it looks promising.



5. Removable waterproof liner included – I wear this plastic liner when it is really cold outside, like 45 and below. (that’s cold in Houston standard.) see the picture below.
6. Two-way leg zippers – I don’t know whey it needs to be two way. I always unzip from the bottom. I also wish the zipper would to all the way to the belt area. It only goes up to the middle of the thigh.

7. Pre-curved legs – I really haven’t notice anything special about this. It may be that if they were not pre-curved, then I might notice, be uncomfortable.
8. Sure Fit™ adjustable waistband – no big deal, just fancy name for elastic waste.
9. zipper for jacket attachment – These pants can get attached to my jacket with the zipper. It’s a nice feature, but I don’t use it.
10. Reflective stripe – You can not have enough reflective stripes on you while you are riding, so this is good.

Over all, I have no complaints. BUT big question is would I really pay $200 new for this pants? I don’t think so. I got it for $100. And I think I paid the right price for it.

Comments