Front Forks and New (semi) Tires

34,250 Miles

It's time to change the fork oil. I was trying to put some 20w oil as my forum friends were suggesting, but I could not find 20w locally. I ended up putting a 10w.

Disassembly was quite simple until I loosen the bolt that attaches the damper rod. Once I got it loosen, it just span around with damper rod. I tried shaving a rake handle in the fork, but it didn't hold the damper rod enough for me to get it out. I called the local shop and they are so busy, they can not get to it for 3 weeks. I looked up and see how much the proper tools cost and found out it would cost me $50. So I tried a narrower mop handle in there and it held the damper rod.


Front Fork
Disassembly was simple



Damper Rod
Getting the damper rod unscrewed was a challenge.


So, both forks got the fluid changed. The right fork got the seal and dust cover replaced. (The left one didn't look bad.)

And while I was working on this, I had a set of new (semi) tires put on. I took the wheels and tires which I scored on-line from a forum buddy for ONLY $100 a set! These tires, Dunlop D220 OEM, only had about 500 miles on them.

The tires I replaced, Michelin Pilot Road, lasted about 12,000 miles. That is about the same distance as my first set, Dunlop D220.

Comments