Sportster Brake Switch Problem

Here is my first problem with the Sprotster. First, I noticed that the tail light went out. So I went out to Auto Zone and bought a new bulb, no big deal. I put it in, then both filament were glowing. Holy Cow! It's bright!!

I did some test with the voltmeter and found that I am getting current from the brake light wire. FYI here is the wiring schematic on the rear.
6-pin connector (Power in):
  • Black = Ground
  • Blue = Running lights
  • Violet = Left turn signal
  • Brown = Right turn signal
  • Red / Yellow = Brake light
  • Orange / White = Power

4-pin connector (to Tail lamp):
  • Black = Ground
  • Blue = Running lights
  • Red / Yellow = Brake light
  • Orange / White = unused unless international model


I fudged with the front brake switch, but it didn't help. I couldn't find the rear brake switch. (I really need to get the manual for this bike.) So I took it to the dearler - San Jacinto HD. I left it there today. (I made an appointment the before, though, just in case.)

The service people were very friendly, helpful, courteous, and professional. The service department was very busy. I can see why, because it is a pleasant place.

I left the bike there the first thing in the morning at 8:30. They called me around 3:00 and told me that the bike was ready. I went to pick it up. They told me that the rear brake switch was bad = $19.00. The labor to change that was 0.40 hours = $35.60. It would probably taken me one to two hours to change the switch. So it was 'money well spent'.

Comments