More Maintenance on Ninja

12,450 miles

Ninja has been running very well. So I decided to do more maintenance, since it was such a beautiful Saturday.
  • Oil and Filter Change
  • Air Filter Changed
  • Spark Plug Changed
To perform all of the above maintenance, a lot of plastic body parts had to come off as well as main seat and the gas tank.



IMG_1997


The Oil and Oil Filter Change
It was really a straight forward job.  It takes 2 quarts of oil with the filter change.  But there are three small parts that you need to pay attention.
  • Oil drain bolt WASHER
  • Main oil filter GASKET
  • another GASKET goes over the filter valve assembly
You need to have all of that besides your typical oil and filter.  I had to get them on the Internet.


IMG_2002
Got the oil filter housing out.

IMG_2004

IMG_2005
Here is the main gasket.







IMG_2003
Here is the gasket off the valve.

IMG_2007
And ready to go back in!


Spark Plug Change
It was a typical Japanese engineering.  It is difficult to get to a lot of parts.  And this model, the plugs, especially the right plug, are difficult to get to.  Not only that, plug wire is difficult to get them off the header.  Luckily I have the OEM plug tool that came with the bike.  It really makes it easy to get the plugs and put the plugs back in once you get the wires out.  I didn't take the pictures of the plugs, but they were nicely browned.

Air Filter Change
It was easiest of all.  You only need to take off the side cover on the right side to do this.  Then there are 3 allen bolts to deal with.  Once the filter assembly is pulled off, just yank the plastic housing a part to get the filter out.  Mine was VERY filthy.  I can wash this type of sponge filter.  I ordered mine on the Internet, so oiled it and put it back in the assembly, then back in the housing.  I will wash my old one and next time I will use it.  This way, I don't have to wait for the sponge to dry completely before putting it back in.

Comments