Custom LED Integrated LED Tail Lights: Part I Fasher Relay Installation

I spent some time this weekend installing Integrated LED Tail Lights from Custom LED. (http://www.customled.com/)  The installation was easy.  What took time was fabricating the fender eliminator.

Custom LED sent the tail light unit, LED flasher, & Blaster-X Control Switch.

IMG_2086

It was well packed and the instruction was *somewhat* clear.

Before I can remove/install anything, I had to do the following.
  1. Remove the rear seat.
  2. Remove the side covers.
  3. Remove the rear seat.
  4. Remove the side panels.
  5. Remove the tail light top cover.  Watch out for the Velcros.
  6. Remove the battery cover and disconnect the negative end of the battery cable.
Once that's done, I started with the flasher relay.  The OEM is located on he left rear of the bike.  The OEM has the L shaped connecter, but their flasher relay (ELFR-1) come with a straight one.
IMG_2108

So I decided to cut their connector and fabricate my own. I had these in my garage. I believe they came from HomeDepot. I had to trim the cover it to work for this.

IMG_2106

Once trimmed, I used my crimping tool to connect them to the flasher relay.
IMG_2111



According the the instruction
  • RED WIRE ON ELFR-1 TO POWER SOURCE (IGNITION SWITCHED +12V)
  • BLACK WIRE ON ELFR-1 TO BLINKER CIRCUIT SUPPLY WIRE (PULSES INTERMITTANT +12V WITH FLASHER RELAY INSTALLED AND OPERATING PROPERLY). THIS WIRE LEADS TO THE BLINKER SELECTOR SWITCH ON THE HANDLEBARS IN MOST APPLICATIONS. CONSULT A REPAIR MANUAL OR USE CONTINUITY TESTER TO
    IDENTIFY THIS WIRE.
If you look at the image below from the service manual, the orange & green wire comes from the ignition.  The orange wire goes to the switch.  Therefore, the red wire should be connected to the orange/green side and the black goes to the orange side.
    TurnSignalWiringScheme

    Once connected, I used the plastic tie strap to secure it.
    IMG_2136

    Comments