Modifying JC Whitney Top Case with LED Lights

I scored a JC Whitney Top Case (Large) a while ago locally.  After putting it on Ninja and on Scarver (F650CS), I realized that it somewhat hides the talk light.  This became a serious concern, especially on Ninja since it has the integrated tail light.

Today, I placed four 24 inch LED strips, 2 running lights and 2 brake lights.  I first went to Advance Auto, which is the nearest auto parts store.  They only had one package of 24 inch white light at $24.99.  I needed two packages, so I went to AutoZone.  They had more than two packages and each package was ONLY $19.99.  I saved $10.00 by driving 6 extra miles round trip.



Undoing these screws let me pop the lenses.

Under the front lens, there was a white strip.


Covered (glued) the white strip with aluminum foil.  Thinking this might give better reflection of the light through the lens.


The Flex Strip comes with 3M adhesive tape on the back.  The middle row is the brake light.  I used two 24 inch strips.  The top and the bottom row are for the running light.  I'm using just one strip each.  They are all connected in parallel mode.

When putting all back together, I found that it is easiest to take the light/aluminum foil piece and place it in the red lens first.  (There are three rows of grooves.)  Then treat it as the light assembly and place the light assembly to the top case.

I needed three wire connectors, negative, brake positive, & running light positive.  So I made a trip to Radio Shack and found some connectors.  I bought this four pin connectors and connected the top case wires to the tail piece assembly.


Will take picture more later.

Comments