Replacing 4runner Front Shock

Miles: 19?,000

Our 4Runner has been squeaking everything when we go over a bump.  I've been scratching my head trying to find the cause.  One day, I sprayed a lubricant at the base of the passenger side front shock absorber.  That cured it for 15 min or so.  But it came back. 

I ordered an OEM used shock with coil spring from ebay.

It was originally $38 + $20 shipping, but it was posted with the "best offer" button.  YAY!  Offered the seller $30 and a few days later, I had it in my garage.


The procedure was quite simple. Only four nuts to loosen. Three at the top (14mm) and one at the bottom (17mm, I think or was it 19mm?)


As you can see, it really needed to be replaced.

Reinstalling was a CHALLENGE! After trying out different methods, what worked for us was to use a pry bar. We used a 4ft steel pipe. We shoved it in the space (red arrow) and pulled the lower A arm down as far as it can go.

No more squeak. No more heads turning to see whose car is squeaking. No more embarrassing rides.

Comments