500 mile ride came with a new rear tire.

Took a long ride to my in-laws house near Tyler, TX.  Great ride in the morning.

Short story is that after lunch at their home, my rear tire was flat as a pancake.  Called bike shops in Tyler and Broadway Powersports had what could work for this situation.

Tire changed at 24,150 miles

Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact



Long version

Tire Change (previously install)
If it were just puncture, I would have patched it and rode it home.  BUT the tire was wearing unevenly and that concerned me.  So after 11,000 miles on Shinko 009, I was looking for 160/60/17 rear.  When I called the shop, they told me that they have a Shinko street tire, 150/60/17.  I didn't want another Shinko, but that's all they had to fit.

I patched up the flat tire good enough to ride to the shop and bought the tire.  The parts guy takes it to the service counter and I wait for my turn.  and wait.... and wait....

So what's the delay?  The tire I bought was mislabeled and too wide for my bike.  They found this out after they installed it on my rim.  bummer....

They found a Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact 170/60/17 in their shop.  It fits!  The shop was so nice to me that they gave me the Metzeler for the Shinko price.  I guess the shop will be also paying the mechanic two tire changes.

After three hours of browsing their new bikes in the showroom and talking to sales guys and other customers in the waiting room (including Tyler moto cops), I was out just before their closing time.

The ride report will follow.

=)



Comments