Day 11 ~ Thursday 29th: Gunnison - Millon Dollar Highway - Bernalillo

370 Miles - Disappointed and frustrated at the Million Dollar Highway


Another great night at the hostel gave us a fresh start from Gunnison. We were ready early to hit the road. It was an easy all paved day. HWY 50 took us to Montrose. We stopped at Starbucks and had breakfast.

From Montrose, we headed south through Ridgeway. We stopped in Ouray to walk around a bit.

After Ouray, we hit the Million Dollar Highway part of HWY550. Unfortunately, from the get-go, we ended up behind slow traffic. Then there were so many constructions that we had to stop and wait and wait and wait.

The Million Dollar scenery seemed like it worth about $5.00.



=(

In Durango, we found a Chinese buffet restaurant and we stopped for lunch. John had to ride to Pagosa Springs. I had a choice of going there or keep going south toward Albuquerque. Looking at the radar closely, I chose to go a separate way. This turned out to be the right decision later.

Fortunately, I hit very little rain. BUT it was hot in New Mexico. I was actually hoping to get some good shower to cool down, but no rain. I pulled out my cooling vest, soak it and wear it. About halfway between Durango and Albuquerque, I was getting very tired. I had to stop for an ice cream bar and Red Bull.

I didn't make it all the way to Albuquerque. Stopped just shy of that in Bernalillo, NM. Found a Motel 6 and I crashed there.

Comments