Why did I get R1150GS?


I used to own a Goldwing GL1500. I loved it, but it was quite heavy. I use to take my daughter in the passenger seat and she loved it. I sold it a few years ago and this has been the ONLY bike I regret selling it. Therefore, I’ve been looking for a GL1800. I’ve looked both ABS and Non-ABS models. They have been around since 2001, but they are all quite expensive. I rarely see any below $5,000.

This month, I found this 2004 BMW R1150GS online for sale. It was priced below average, low miles, and in very good condition. I always wanted a BMW R bike. But I always had a fear that it is too much of a bike for me, the parts are expensive, and it requires premium gas. But I decided to take the plunge.

On the highway, surprisingly, it is as smooth (if not more) as Goldwing. The seat height is not as bad as I feared. (I’m 30-inch inseam.) It has enough power to get me in trouble. It does not act like a big dirt bike - which this really is.

So far, I've only ridden about 150 miles. I'll post more as I experience this awesome bike.

Comments