Trip to Nashville, TN

 I drove out to Nashville, TN, on May 24-25, 2021, to pick up a 2017 F800GS Trophy edition. Everything went as expected. Thanks to the seller, the whole experience was very positive.


 

Background

In April 2021, I realized that I had two weeks off at the end of May. My wife and I made a trip plan to Colorado for her birthday. (We love hiking.) At that time, I thought I might be able to buy a KLR 650 in Denver and ride it home via New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route. To fund this adventure, I sold my Harley Ultra Classic.

I looked around on the Internet and contacted several sellers. There were some KLRs that were worthy of my adventure and I could sell it when I get home. Some had hard panniers. Others had soft panniers. The most of them had good tires and protections that I can make the trip. Unfortunately nothing worked out.

I was disappointed. But this means that I might be able to find a 2009 BMW F800GS in yellow. I always wanted this bike. And because of the age, I can typically find it in decent price. I often see them in low mileage and in good condition. I looked around for about two weeks. I couldn't find any. BUT, I found a 2017 F800GS Trophy edition at a REALLY good price. It was so low, I might be able to ride it for two years and could sell it and make money.

 The seller was in Nashville. I thought about fly and ride. But, the seller had some extra goodies and required me to bring back in a car. I decided to take the Expedition for this trip. 

I left Texas early in the morning of the 24th. My tank range is 500 miles which means it requires one fill. Loaded up my ice chest with cold cuts, cheese, bread, some drinks, and I was self sufficient. No need to stop at fast food restaurants. When I get hungry, I just pull into a rest stop and make me a sandwich. 

As I was approaching Nashville, I searched for a camping spot. I found Montgomery Bell State Park and it had some sites that I can stay for $16.00 plus tax. What a deal! This is why I have my Expedition. I just sleep in the back of the SUV with the 2nd and the 3rd row down. It becomes completely flat.

The park also had nice hiking trails. I enjoyed them in the evening and in the early morning. It had a cute church and historic home.





On the following day, 25th, I first went to the sellers home and confirmed the bike that I was buying. Then went to a bank to make two certified checks, one for the BMW North America Financial Service and the other for him. Yes, he financed the bike. That meant I was not getting the title immediately but that was ok since the bike was registered until December 2021.

After the bank, stopped at the U-Haul shop where I made an online reservation. I rented the 5X9 trailer which was the motorcycle trailer. Apparently, when you reserve a motorcycle trailer, you have to take it back to where you rent it from. But if you reserve a 5x9 trailer, you can rent it one way. BUT you are renting the same trailer. Go figure.


Loaded the bike up onto the trailer and I was leaving his house by noon. From there, just drove the Interstate all the way home and I was home by midnight. Unloaded the bike, put it in the garage, parked my SUV and the trailer on the street and I went to bed. Next morning, I took the trailer to my local H-Haul place and my trip was over.

I was skeptic of how to buy a motorcycle with lien. I've done it before when I went to the bank where they held the title and I paid it off at the window. They just gave me the title. But this time, I had to have my bank make a certified check and had the seller mail it. It took about two weeks for the seller to get the title. He signed it and mailed it to me. So all in all, it took about three weeks for me to get the title. Again, no big deal since the bike registration was valid until December.

I am very happy with how everything went. It was very smooth. The only regret is that I didn't get to do the NMBDR this summer.

Comments