Flat Tire

Total mileage: 11,400

Last Friday, I take out my SV to ride to work. I ride only a mile and noticed that my back tire was going flat. I pulled into a service station and fill the tire with air. (And the air cost me $0.75!!!) I ride it back to my home.


I put the bike on the stand and started looking for the cause. And here it is.



For the fun of it, I sprayed soapy water. It made BIG bubbles. FUN!



I got my pliers out and began pulled the silver metal object out. pshhhhhhhhh - lots of air comes out.



My rear tire is really old and cracking. So I have been thinking about replacing it. This would be a good time to do that. I usually buy tires from Discount Motorcycle Tire of Pasadena, TX. They only charge me $7.50 to mount if I just bring in the wheel. So I decided to get the wheel off on my way to work.

To take the rear wheel out, first I have to take out the caliper bolts.



Take out the cutter pin ...


Undo the axle nut ...


Loosen the chain tension hex bolt ...


Slide out the rear axile ...



Push the tire forward to take the chain off ...



now you can pull out the rear wheel out. To mount the wheel, just do the reverse of what I explained.

I took the wheel to the shop on my way to work. Then they tell me, they are mounting sports bike tires free now. I could have brought the entire bike and they would have put it in for me FREE! Oh, well.

A new Dunlop D220 = $140
A new valve stem = $7.50
and Sales Tax

The total came to like $160. Not too bad considering one of my discussion board buddy paid $120 for tire mounting on front and rear.

oh, and here are the nails/staples that cause this headache!

Comments