Garmin nüvi 760 GPS


Found a nice Garmin nüvi 760 on Craigslist yesterday.  And it was located only a few miles from my house!  The unit was lightly used for about one year.  It came in a box and the manuals and data cable were still in the bag.  (Let's just say I saved about $300 comparing to the new price.) 

I will be using this for motorcycling.  Yes, I know this unit is NOT water proof.  I have a few ideas how to deal with that issue.  I will share them later on this blog.  BUT my immediate need was to upload my custom route file (.gdb - garmin mapsource file) onto this unit.  I struggled with it for a few hours. I created a new route in a new .gdb file.  Then I transferred it  via the "Transfer" menu.  This was NOT working at all.

Here is the solution I found.
  1. Before connecting the gps to the PC, make sure you have at least one custom route created on the gps.  You need to do this WITHIN the gps.
  2. Connect the gps to the PC.
  3. Open Garmin MapSource application.
  4. Import your custom route from gps.  Use "Transfer" menu and choose "Receive from Device".
  5. You should have a route in MapSource.  I would save this file at this point.
  6. Now create routes as you wish.  Give the route a name that you can remember.  It will be used later.  Save the file. 
  7. Transfer the routes via "Send to Device".
  8. Unplug the gps from PC.
  9. (Turn your gps on, if it is not.) Go into "tools" > "My Data" > "Import Route from File".  Choose the route and click on import button. 
  10. Now you see your custom route in "Routes" section within "Tools".
That's it.

Comments