4Runner - Master Cylinder Replaced

188,830 miles

4Runner's brakes been acting strange.  It sometimes work perfectly, then other time almost all the way to the floor.  I bled the system to see if there were any air.  That didn't help.  So my solution was to replace the master cylinder.

The one I picked up at a local auto parts store was a re-manufactured OEM - $60.00 (I paid $90.00 first since there is a $30.00 core charge).  I also bought a big bottle of brake fluid - $8.00.

The process was simple, but took me about 1.5 hours.
  1. Take off master cylinder.
  2. Take off the reservor from the old master cylinder and put it on the new master cylinder.
  3. Bench bleed
  4. Put it back on the car.
  5. Bleed the entire system.
 I'm glad I've got it done in early AM.  It's already 90F degrees outside!!

Comments