Ball Joint Replacement

193,000 miles 97 Toyota 4Runner

The passenger side suspension is squeaking.  Also, the front tire ware is uneven.  My "guess" is the lower ball joint going bad.

I followed these helpful write-ups.
The part I bought at Advance Auto was about $100 with tax.  I also rented a set of suspension tools.





I ended up using the tool from top left (to separate steering knuckle)  and far right (to separate the tie-rod end). 

My recommendation is to unbolt the tie-rod end, but don't separate it, yet.  Then unbolt the steering knuckle, but don't separate it.  Then unbolt all the 14mm bolts holding the ball joint in place.  By the way, these 14mm bolts are in there REALLY tight.  After breaking the 14mm blots loose, then use the separator tools.

And here is the worn out lower ball joint.

Comments