More about Spark Plugs

It appears that I was wrong... again...  All this time that iridium type spark plug helped my surges and stalls.  I was also convinced that iridium type was causing my mpg to drop.

Back in November, I changed the spark plug to what I thought was a iridium tip plug.  The iridium plug number is either DPR8EIX or DPR8EI.  This "i" or "ix" at the end makes the plug an iridium one according to the NGK document.  So what did I put in there?

DPR8EA-9
D - Thread Dimemsions / Hex. Size = 12mm / 5/8" (18.0mm)
P - Construction = Projecting Insulator Type
R - Construction = Resistor Type
8 - Heat Rating
E - Thread Reach = 19.0mm
A - Special Design
9 - 0.9mm spark gap

All of the above brought me to prove that I was wrong.  It wasn't the iridium plug that make my bike not to surge.  And the drop in mpg since the plug change is not due to the iridium tip, but probably due to the register in the plug.

So the next plug to test would be the non-resistor type iridium plug.  I guess that would be DP8EI or DP8EIX, but only if my current D8EA is causing problems.


Comments