Missing Bolt?

When I get to work, I looked down by the foot peg.  Something looked strange.  I thought that the gas tank was sagging a bit.  I looked closer.  To my surprise, a bolt was missing where the rear frame attaches to the main frame.
I rode home without any problem, but as soon as I finished the dinner I started on this project.  The problem turned out to be the broken bolt, not missing bolt.
First I thought about drilling the bolt out.  BUT, I soon realized that I need to be VERY careful.  There is a plastic gas tank just behind the bolt.  If I go through the bolt, I might drill a hole into the gas tank.  That would be a DISASTER!  So as you can see, I put the crescent wrench handle behind it to stop the accident.
I drilled a hole big enough for the bolt extractor.  I struggled with different size of the extractor, but #3 was the one that got the job done.
Time to make a trip to the hardware store.  I found out that the bolt was 8mm x 1.25. Length was 20mm-ish.
So just to be sure, I put 25mm in there.  YAY, the project done in just a couple of hours.

Comments