keyless entry for 4runner

196,000 miles

My key hasn't worked on the driver's door for about a year now.  I'm tired of walking over to the passenger door and unlocking it there.  The answer was to install a keyless entry system.  Our local FRY's Electronic store had AVITAL 2101 Keyless Entry System.

The system was $49.00 and the installation was $49.00.  How hard would it to install this, I told myself.  The installation itself isn't hard at all.  Figuring out which wire goes where took me a while researching on the net.

This link from the12volt.com was very useful.  I also found a 4runner security wiring color code at http://alarmsellout.com/.

The most of the wiring took place on this harness shown below.  I connected the ground (two of them) to the bolt you see in the middle (just to the left of the harness) of the picture.


Found the constant power over at the radio connection.

As I worked on the wires ....



 It was messy for a while, but at the end, it went on without any problem.  It works well.

Comments