BMW F650CS Headlight Harness

Yesterday, I dug into my Scarver to place a switched relay to supply 12v to auxiliary items.  As I looked around, the front end to get powered signal, I thought the position light can supply just that.  So I started to look around to make sure that I tap into the positive side of it.  That's when I discovered

the Wiring Harness in BAD SHAPE!


 

80% of the insulation was breaking off and showing bare wires.  I can also see the light terminals getting brown, like burned.



hmmm.....

So I decided to rewire the harness, but couldn't take off the connector - sigh.  If anyone knows how to do that, please leave a comment.

I ended up splicing wires to replace the bare wires.

During this operation, I noticed that three of four screws holding the low beam assembly was gone.  I found one screw floating in the headlight housing - got that out and tightened up the assembly to the housing.  One another screw was stuck in the housing.  I couldn't get it out.  Another screw was no where to be found.  In fact, the last screw hole was broken off in the low beam assembly.  More sigh.

I ordered a new wiring assembly from the dealer.  It will be here in a week or so - coming from Germany.  I am debating whether to get a used headlight unit on ebay or not.

Lastly, do any of you know how to remove the clear cover of the headlight?  There are five tabs, but I am afraid that I might break the tabs.

Comments

Kevin said…
I've tried to take off the clear cover to get rid of all the dirt and dust that has seemed to accumulate in there. No dice. I think the clear cover is glued on.
Jim K. said…
Hey Kevin,

I read it somewhere to put the headlight in 200F oven for 15 min to get the glue soften, then open it. I'm too afraid to do that. If I find a headlight assembly on eBay cheap, I might get it and try it. But I won't do it on my daily rider.