Steering Head Bearing? NOT!

I love my Scarver.  BMW F650CS is a great commuter!  BUT do you ever feel a notch in steering?  If you do, what do you do?

Short answer - put a few more lbs of air into your front tire = fixed.

Long answer
I've had this experience off and on with a few bikes.  When I come to stop at the light, I feel a notch in steering.  Last time when I had this, my tire was worn out.  I changed the tire and it went away.  This time my tire was worn out too.  So changed the tire.  The notch DIDN'T go away.

hmmm......

So, I have been riding with it.  Thinking probably the steering head bearing is going out.  The parts only cost $50.  That's not too bad.

So to make sure I have the problem with the bearing, I raise the front of the bike free and moved the steering   back and forth.  NO NOTCH.  If there is a bearing problem, with the front wheel off the ground, you should feel the notch.

hmmm......

So it was suggested that I inflate the front tire a bit more than manufacture's recommendation.

BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It fixed the problem.

Comments