Day 6 ~ Saturday 24th: Denver Creek Campground - Brighton, CO

150 Miles

Denver Creek Campground - Rocky Mountain National Park - Loveland, CO - Brighton, CO




THIS is definitely my favorite campground breakfast.

It gives me just enough calories and sodium I need for the day. And it was $0.29. All I need to add is the hot water and wait 3 min. This fortifies me to get ready for the day - lube the chain, check oil and tire pressure, and load the bike up.



From the campground, I ride down to Granby then take HWY 34 toward Grand Lake. Then I enter Rocky Mountain National Park. My annual national park pass expired at the end of June, so I decided to buy another one. This time it's valid until the end of July 2017. This was my first time on the west side of the park. I rode by Timber Creek Campground, but it looked quite full. It doesn't look as nice as the campgrounds on the east side. I think I will stay east side if I'm camping again in the park.

Going up, I got stuck behind a slow cruiser. Oh, well. I'll slow down and enjoy the scenery. Pass by the Alpine Visitor Center. Last time I was here in June (a few years back) it was sleeting. But it was a beautiful clear day. (If I get a chance, I will upload the video here.) I love the scenery from here toward the east end of the park. This view may be the most beautiful view in the world. (If I ever make it to Everest, I might change my mind.) I love riding through here, although it is my first time on a motorcycle.

In the park, there are so many signs not to stop in the middle of the road, but most people just ignore that rule. They HAVE TO take pictures of the wild animals just beyond their nose. This drives me crazy. I wish the park rangers enforce these rules strictly.

As I exit the park, I decided to take HWY 34 to Loveland, CO. I've never taken this route and it was beautiful to ride along the Big Thompson River. Those rock formations along the river were breathtaking. But I can feel the temperature going up as I descend down to civilization. By the time I arrive at Loveland, it was nearly 100F degrees. =(

Stopped at Home Depot in Loveland to get a few screws I lost during my ride. It was good to get my bike sorted out for many off-road riding coming up following days.

As I and million others fight the stupid heat, I joined the I-25 Interstate Highway. And, of course, it was under construction and a HUGE delay. I am not going to sit on the tarmac and get fried from the reflective heat from the asphalt and 700cc engine between my legs. I say good-bye to the Interstate and join a local path. West of I-25 is quite flat and all the roads are straight. As I had a breakfast appointment with a friend in Denver, I decided to stop and get a room in Brighton, CO.

I pulled into a parking lot and decided to call a few hotels to check the rate. It was so hot out, my phone shut down. BOO. So I walked into Hampton Inn. The rate was a bit on the expensive side, but good enough to take shower and sleep in a room with AC. Luckily, I scored the last room that was available.

Nothing significant beyond that point. Washed some clothes in the shower and hang it in the shower area. Everything was not dry by the next morning, so I put them in my mesh bag and put it on the bike to dry.


Comments