Day 7 ~ Sunday 25th: Brighton, CO - West Chicago Creek Campground

100 Miles

LOST MY WALLET


Left the hotel around 8 am to get to Toast restaurant in Littleton by 9 am. I was meeting up with my college friend. I haven't seen her since the mid-'80s. We had great conversation and breakfast, lots of catching up.

10 am - it's time for me to leave. I needed to get to Colorado Motorcycle Adventures in Aurora. My buddy, John, from Houston was flying in and renting a bike there to spend a week with me on the road. After a couple of miles of riding, I realize that I DID NOT HAVE MY WALLET. I backtrack - twice, but I did not find it.

What do you do when you lose your wallet 1,000 miles away from home? I had my personal credit and debit cards, my work credit card, my green card (which costs $500 to replace), drivers license and Texas license to carry.  WHAT DO YOU DO? My wife can send money to Western Union, but I still need to have an ID to get it.  There isn't any cash transaction you can do without an ID.

I call my bank to cancel my cards. I called AAA - I'm a prime member, but they can't do anything. I make an arrangement to have a credit card sent to my next destination in Gunnison, CO. That was about all I could do.

By this time, John is heading his way down to where I am in Littleton. We met up. He gets $100 cash out for me from ATM so I can make it to Gunnison. I'm all worked up inside. I know I need to man up and take it. We sat in McDonald's and talk about our plan for the week. John needed camping fuel, so we head out to a nearby gear store.

After that, we head to West Chicago Creek Campground near Mt. Evans. Our plan was to ride to the top the following day. We are riding through the south side of Denver and all the sudden I get Facebook Message. Some nice young lady found my wallet on a street in Littleton. She found me on Facebook. WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! We turn around and head to where my wallet was - her boy friend's work. I retrieve my wallet and give 'reward' to the couple.

What a relief!

We ride as we planned, through Evergreen and onto HWY 103. We get to West Chicago Creek Campground and got the last spot that was available.



This is a very nice campground. There is a creek near the site. Lots of trees to hang a hammock. Good ground for a tent. There is a picnic table there and a fire ring. The dirt road approaching it is nice, too.

John kindly shared his Mountain House dinner with me.



I did not explore all the way to Lake Edith. I regret that. Perhaps, next time.

Comments