LED Flex Strip Run/Brake Light Project

Honda NC700X lacks tail lights for a good visibility. Especially in my commute on busy highways, it has been a big concern. I bought a pair of LED flexible light strip to place them on the GIVI rear carrier plate. They are 4 inches on each side. Initially I just connected them to the tail light circuit - that meant the light stayed at 100% brightness all the time. I wanted to have the tail light stay dim, and become brighter with the brake applied.



I decided to connect two diodes and a resistor on the circuit between the bike and LED strips. The resistor reduces the current flow on tail light, so the LED strips stay dim on tail light current flow and becomes brighter with the brake applied.

Diodes and resistors were purchased from Amazon.com. Initially I was hoping to buy them from a nearby Radio Shack, but they closed the door for good.

Diode

Resistor


Basic current flow

Result

I think I am pretty happy with the result.
Happy riding.

Comments