Yamaha Morphous

2007 Yamaha Morphous joined the stable.

Background story: Our college age son finds a scooter. "It doesn't run, but it's really cheap. Can you fix it?" I asked him, "Does he have the bike title?" "Let me ask him!" was the last thing I heard until the day we saw the bike.

MYTH = "My dad can fix anything."

Getting the bike: We drive FOUR hours away with a trailer behind our Avalon. Go to the guys house. The bike is sitting in his BACK YARD! HOLY COW. I was not really happy about this. The guy says that he rode it to a bike shop to get it maintenance. When he went to get it, it would only run at no more than 5 mph. The bike shop says it needs new counter shaft. It's been sitting in his backyard since.

Cosmetically... the seat is all torn. The guy says - just put the seat cover... The headlight is all cloudy - he probably used rain x on it. Moldings are all sun faded... The man tell me the bike has about 35,000 miles. But with a dead battery, I could not confirm that.

He couldn't find the title. He only has one key. Both tires were flat. It was a mess. But the $$ was good.

We got it put on the trailer and head home.


One of the first thing I did was to put the battery charger on the bike. But the battery was so dead, it did not revive. I stop by an auto parts store near our home and see if they have a battery for this scooter. SURPRISINGLY, they did.

With the new battery in, the bike's instrument cluster came on. It has 43,271 miles on the bike. He was off by 8,000 miles.

I took much of the plastic fairings off. I knew I needed to get the tank off and empty the old gas. Unbolting the tank was easy. But it was in there very tight and it will not come out. I had to unbolt the rear shocks and lift the back of the bike with a floor jack. This brings the head of the engine to be about 90 degrees to the ground. Then you have enough room to wiggle the tank out.

Next I poured the gas out. See this video. This is what came out of after two years.

Not too bad, but not good either. I was afraid to pull out the fuel pump assembly. When I did, I was welcome by this. =(




And inside of the tank looks like this.

Needless to say, I will need to order a tank and a fuel pump assembly.



Comments