New Tires for R1150GS

@ 41,900 miles

I installed new front and rear tires this weekend - Shinko 804 (front) & 805 (rear). $175.00 for the tires via Amazon and about $90 to have them installed onto the rims. (I take the wheels off my bike and have a local shop put them on. It's much cheaper that way.)

The rear lasted about 6,000 miles. (https://xamper.blogspot.com/2018/06/shinko-805-rear-on-r1150gs.html) It could probably gone another 1,000 miles. It was about to reach the wear indicator. 

The front lasted about 10,000 miles. (https://xamper.blogspot.com/2018/02/new-tires-for-r1150gs.html) The front was wearing off unevenly on the center. Where two blocks are, it wares more. Where it only has one block on the center, it doesn't wear out as much. I wonder if they are using different stiffness compound on those blocks.

A shop story - I use a certain shop in town. I use them because they charge the least amount and do a decent job. They are also pleasant to work with. I typically take my wheels off on Friday night or early Saturday morning and take them there by 10 am. I did that again this Saturday. At 1:30, my usual pick up time, I visited them. Come to find out that their equipment failed and couldn't do the job. DANG! They fixed it over the weekend and I had the wheels with new tires back to my by Tuesday evening. (They are closed on Mondays.) 

So Monday and Tuesday of this week, my GS did not have the wheels. I got to commute on my V-Strom sidecar. I love that rig. So much fun to ride! I just need to go slower on the right hand corner. =)



Safe riding!

Comments