DRZ is electrically challenged. (LED upgrades)

My understanding is that DRZ will only give you a 200W of electrical power. For today's long-distance riding, that is not enough. I typically run two GPSs (an Android phone & a Garmin) and GoPro Hero 7 Black and they all draw electricity from the bike. I started to see my voltmeter showing 12.9 volts at running rpm. I don't think that is enough. How do I upgrade the stator output?

Well, the quick answer is - there is no way to upgrade the output. The only thing we can do is reducing the power usage from the bike. My first attempt is to put LEDs for the headlight and the taillight.

Headlight - the current H4 headlight draws 50W. The LED will draw 30W. I will save 20W. (The one I ordered is supposedly a plug and play.)

Taillight - the current 1157 draws 26 watts and LED will draw 1.5 watts. That is another 24.5 watts.


Will they REALLY save 50W? Let's see. A typical USB draws 2.5 watts. So saving 50 watts will be plenty.

There also is a voltage R/R mod to connect the positive and the negative cable directly to the battery. I have not done that yet. If this LED mod doesn't help, then I will try that route.

Comments