DRZ: No Start

I went to get DRZ inspected yesterday. Paid whopping 7 dollars and got the approval. After the inspection, I turn the ignition key on and hit the starter... NOTHING. Engine won’t turn. I turn it off, turn it back on, hit the starter... still nothing. Checked everything, but can't find anything obviously wrong.

So pull the bike into a back street, put it in 5th gear and start pushing. After several try, I finally get it going. What a workout!

Brought it home and started to poke. I thought it might be the starter switch. I turn the ignition on, then hit the starter. While pressed, the headlight goes off, like it supposed to do. So the starter switch is working.

Then I checked the battery connection. The ground is good and firm. But to check the positive, I take the ground off the battery. Then take off the positive, clean the connection, put it back on. Do the same with the ground. Then try the starter switch... NOTHING.


 Is it the starter relay? Take off the ground cable off the battery and check the relay with the voltmeter. It looks good. That's not the problem.

Scratched my head for a while. My next thoughts were to check two switches - kickstand and clutch. I started with the clutch switch. Took off the cowl and traced the switch cable. 



Bongo! Wouldn't you know it. One of the wire came out of the bullet connector and was not connected. Put some dielectric grease on both connectors, squeezed them firmly. It starts now!

What a simple problem, but it was difficult to chase.



Comments