F800GS Valve Check and front break work

14,069 miles

I'm continuing with the 12K service. This weekend was to check the valve clearance and work on the front brake pads and fluid flush.

I like EBC brake pads - made in U.S.A.


The rear pads were quite worn out, but front pads still had lots of life left. 

I regret I didn't take the photo of the front reservoir, but it was REALLY bad. The bottom half of the reservoir was like milk. Here is the pic of the fluid that came out of the front brake lines.

The reservoir is all cleaned up and has fresh DOT4 fluid.



Now, onto the valve clearance check.

Take the top and side panels off. I didn't have to take the black/silver cowl off.


Then had to take the battery out - followed by the airbox.

Air box was a bit tricky. There are a few wires you have to unplug. There were also two hoses that you need to undo. The left side connector was a bit tricky.

Once the air box is out, you can unplug the coils. Make sure you know which wire is for which coil. I made a small label for it. Once unpluged, you can pull the ignition coil with the coil removing tool.


I used a narrow BMW spark socket wrench to remove the spark plugs. The electrodes looked good, but the round the hex nut was badly deteriorated. I wonder what caused this.


Once the plugs are out, I started to work on the valve cover. I had to remove a few zip ties for the wire harnesses. I did NOT need to undo the clutch cable. I moved the handlebar all the way to the right. That gave lots of play in the cable and I was able to move it away.

I carefully removed the valve cover trying not to damage the gasket.


Checked four exhaust and four intake valves and they were all within specs. 

After checking it, just button all up. Here is the video after the procedure.



Happy riding.



Comments